Cruise travellers need to take responsibility for their own actions

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Jan Fisher
      Keymaster

There’s been a bit of hoo-haa in the media lately about a group of people being left behind after failing missing a cruise ship’s deadline to re-embark the ship.

While I feel sorry for them and agree their holiday was probably a nightmare from then on, I also feel they need to take some responsibility for their own situation.

Cruise ships will only wait if one of their ‘official’ on-shore excursions is running late and they make that very clear. Very, very clear.

People missing ships is so common it even has a name, they are called pier runners.
      If you decided to organise your own on-shore activities, then you better well make sure you are back in time.

These people decided to take an unofficial tour that ran over time and the ship left without them.

For a start, what are elderly and people with mobility and health issues doing taking an unofficial tour in a third world country? What were they thinking? So they saved a few dollars, but that didn’t work out in the long term, did it?

Unofficial tours are often cheaper, but you must weigh up the costs of something going wrong. It’s okay if you miss a tram to the pier in Melbourne, there will be another along in 10 minutes, but if your bus breaks down two hours out in a third world country you are in danger.

The people that suffered this stressful situation have garnered a lot of sympathy, and I would hate to be in their position, but they also need to think about the fact that they took a considerable risk and it failed.

Do you think the ship should have waited?

Rod63
      Participant

It didn’t wait and nor should it have.
      I was amazed when I read the company had reimbursed them their costs of rejoining the ship.
      I think they shouldn’t have.

budd
      Participant

This has happened when I have worked as a pier supervisor for cruise ships & it’s a big no. The ships have a schedule to keep due to tides, port times etc. This is just irresponsible of these pax & they should not be reimbursed for their tardiness.

Ian Webster
      Participant

As a ex flight attendant, no it could have cost the ship thousand in fees, same as airports.
      Just arrogance. I have seen it a thousand times.
      Ian

Monty
      Participant

It is clearly stated in the terms and conditions of joining the cruise vessel and has been for at least ten years that I know of. Port fees are huge, so the ships do not want to leave late or arrive late at the next port. Plus what about the ship behind them who is due to take that berth – do you hold it up and its 500 plus passengers who then miss out on experiences they booked.

I would think if you were in a third world country you would want to book a tour with the safest and most guaranteed to protect you and get you back on time.

The ship shouldn’t have re-imbursed them.

Sandy
      Participant

Unfortunately, they were irresponsible. It was their fault entirely and, furthermore, I’m surprised elderly, unwell, mobility challenged passengers would even consider taking a local tour. The arrogance of the couple who said the cruise line was a hospitality provider and had a duty of care to them is mind blowing. The cruise line shouldn’t have reimbursed them for their stupidity.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.