Diabetics should come first

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Jan Fisher
      Keymaster

A new diabetes drug launched in Australia a few months ago and is already low on stocks.

The new drug Mounjaro was low on stock just weeks after it was launched in September due to it being prescribed ‘off label’ for weight loss.

The shortage is anticipated to continue well into 2024, leaving doctors and patients in limbo.

What’s the solution here? The diabetes drug Ozempic is also low on stocks due to it being used for weight loss purposes, and now this new drug is suffering the same problem.

Surely diabetics take preference here. Weight loss is good for your health too, but diabetics can die or suffer chronic, debilitating side effects without the right drugs.

Am I missing something?

With so much demand, why do they not just make more?

Or should people make weight loss a personal responsibility, not rely on a drug?

ronloby
      Participant

It should be for Diabetic people FIRST others should not be able to access the drug. I think overweight people should use other methods to loose weight not rely on other people’s drugs. Doctors should not be allowed to prescribe the drug to overweight people in the first place.

52-KID
      Participant

I don’t disagree with overweight people being prescribed the drug, but I wholeheartedly agree the diabetics should be first in line to receive what is available. It is pretty much life threatening for them where not so much for overweight people. From what I hear a lot of the people aren’t even overweight, they just think they are – they should not even be able to get a prescription for it. I know my doctor’s surgery won’t prescribe it, but there must be others giving it out willy-nilly to whoever asks. There has to be a way to regulate it, as well as get more supply

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.