Did you participate in the ‘cash day’ protest?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Brad Lockyer
      Keymaster

Hundreds of people across Australia fronted up to their local bank branch or ATM last Tuesday 2 April, in order to withdraw cash in what was dubbed ‘Draw Out Some Cash Day’. Did you take part?

Beginning as a social movement initiated by the ‘Cash Is King’ Facebook group, the move was intended to show banks that the public still wants, and indeed needs, to be able to withdraw cash.

The move is in response to increasing numbers of bank branches closing and ATMs being removed. This move towards a ‘cashless society’ is having detrimental effects on many sections of society, but especially older Australians.

News.com.au reported “massive queues” of people at various banks across the country, and social media users were keen to share their experiences.

“(I) withdrew $1000 dollars. The bank was packed!” one Facebook user wrote.

“I went to Robina Centre (Gold Coast) and took $1000. I had to wait nearly one hour,” said another.

“(I) queued up for 30min. (There were) people doing the same thing, getting money out. I think today was very successful,” another added.

But will stunts like this actually have any effect on bank decisions? Let’s hope so.

Rod63
      Participant

No!

Ridiculous.

[email protected]
      Participant

No. And I wouldn’t be surprised if the action makes banks think about removing atms. i.e. move even quicker towards a cashless society.

Cosmo
      Participant

No I didn’t. The whole idea would need a total strategy including especially the major the supermarkets and places like Bunnings, Mc Doonalds etc. if part of the claim is “what if the internet goes down” then none of the majors are able to price items

Cosmo
      Participant

The previous post froze.

No I didn’t. The whole idea would need a total strategy including especially the major the supermarkets and places like Bunnings, Mc Donalds etc. if part of the claim is “what if the internet goes down” then none of the majors are able to price or add up lists of items at the cash desk so if the system goes down it’s a total failure irrespective of having cash. It’s happened at Woolies and McDonald’s and cash doesn’t save the situation and they will not change for cash.

The Bronze Anzac
      Participant

No. Because it didn’t make sense to me. Why withdraw cash, then later buy something with that cash & then that money is re-banked by the store or receiver in their bank ? The only good thing about the exercise was that it was a show by activists against a cashless society.

AnnMelling
      Participant

Yes, I did – the object of the day was to show support for CASH as a legal tender. As the previous comments do not realise the WEF & WHO are pushing for a CASHLESS society so they can have more control over citizens. Also, when you use your card (which I do sometimes) there are fees paid so therefore your $50 is not worth $50 when it enters the company/business account BUT if you pay $50 Cash then it is $50 deposited into the account of the company/business. Perhaps a little research in World Economic Forum and what they have planned for us might change their minds.

[email protected]
      Participant

No. Cannot see the sense. It’s 2024 and we have the conveniance of electronic banking – why not use it. It’s been this way for years. Just some activist has decided to get their 15 minutes of fame and have stirred up the tin foil hat brigade.
      For the conspiracy theorists, if you have a mobile phone, the governmant knows everything about you already.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.