Do you remember shops with names like Farmer’s, Boan’s & John Martin’s?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Ellie Baxter

Do you remember shops with names like Farmer’s, Boan’s, John Martin’s, Buckley & Nunn, or McWhirter’s? Or maybe you’re more familiar with David Jones and Myer? If any of these names ring a bell, a team of historians wants to speak to you.
      Professor Robert Crawford leads a team of historians at RMIT University and Macquarie University that are researching the history of department stores in Australia since the Second World War.
      “Department stores have played such an important role in the lives of countless Australia, but their history has hardly been documented,” explains Prof. Crawford.

Supported by the Australian Research Council, the project aims to collect Australian stories and experiences of their department store.
      While the project is keen to collect stories from those who worked in these stores, it is equally interested in hearing from shoppers.
      “Shoppers are an essential part of this story – their custom makes or breaks any retail outlet and department stores are no different,” notes Professor Crawford.

If you’re interested in participating in the project or learning more about it, further details can be found at https://www.departmentstorehistory.org.au/

Wendy
      Participant

I well remember Boans in Perth. What a great place it was to visit! At Christmas it was a children’s paradise. The toy shop to me was the ultimate place to visit on our rare trips into the city. And the restaurant at the top floor! Wow! That was a treat to behold! I could look out the window and see the tallest building in the world!! Royal Perth Hospital was ‘huge’!

My best friend got a job working there when she was 16 and did window decoration which she loved due to her artistic ability. However her life took another turn and she had to leave.

Boans was a great store and the most magnetic attraction for Perth back in the 60s. I could never go to Perth without going to Boans. I was heartbroken when Myer bought them out. It was never the same.

ronloby
      Participant

I remember Mcwhirter’s in Brisbane. However, my memory is not all that solid to allow me much more than the name.

Helen
      Participant

I always loved shopping at MacDonald & East on George St CBD Brisbane. When it closed, I was sad as it was a great shopping experience.

Jacka
      Participant

Yes the good old days, back to the ’50s and ’60s Brisbane. McWhirters and Waltons were the two big department stores in Fortitude Valley, which at the time was a bigger hub than Brisbane City. McDonnell and East was probably the largest department store in the city at the time. Also popular were The Shingle Inn, The York Inn both in Edward Street and Christies Restaurant, on the corner of Edward and Queen Streets, as it was in the day. The Christmas decorations were sensational in those days and people flocked to both the City and Valley to experience them with the kids. I still remember McWhirters had Santa playing a large organ on top of the awning at the front of the store. Happier and simple times, marvellous memories. I could explain what went wrong but I would have to move into political mode and that wouldn’t totally ruin the theme. Jacka.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.