Drinking alcohol to prevent dementia?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Brad Lockyer
      Keymaster

New research has revealed drinking up to two cans of beer or two glasses of wine each day may actually lower your risk of suffering dementia.

Researchers in South Korea analysed the health data of around four million people, tracked over eight years.

They found that those who consumed one can of beer or glass of wine per day were 21 per cent less likely to develop dementia compared to non-drinkers, while those who had two cans or glasses had a 17 per cent reduced dementia risk.

But crucially, they found that by increasing the amount to three cans or glasses a day completely reversed any dementia reduction risk, actually showing an eight per cent increase in dementia risk.

The researchers suggested alcohol in lower amounts can protect against dementia because it reduces inflammation in the brain and makes your blood thinner, allowing it to flow easier.

How many drinks do you have each day?

I used to drink 1 glass of cheap brandy every other day and I found that it is also good for digestion. Hopefully that will also lessen my chances of catching dementia in the future too.

Yeesh – seems I swing both ways!

Still, it’s maddening how many studies there are that claim alcohol is good/bad. I wish we could have consensus so I know how many beers I can have each week!

Taragosun
      Participant

The following is a previous article in the same YLC daily. “Drinking is a big part of Aussie culture, but the dangers of alcohol compound as you age”
      A bit of a conundrum with your article.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.