Ex-PM secretly took control of cabinet roles

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Brad Lockyer
      Keymaster

It’s been revealed that former prime minister Scott Morrison was secretly sworn-in as minister for several portfolios including health, finance, resources and home affairs during the early stages of the COVID pandemic.

All three portfolios already had a sitting minister in the role and it’s unclear exactly why Mr Morrison felt he needed the additional powers.

The powers would have allowed Mr Morrison to override the decisions of the appointed ministers.

In an interview with Ben Fordham on radio station 2GB, Mr Morrison defend the move, saying it was a necessary precaution during “unprecedented” times.

“We were dealing with an incredible amount of discretion and money being paid,” Mr Morrison said.

“They were unprecedented times and as a result they were very unconventional times.

“They are very complex, detailed issues in governance … I put in place a set of arrangements that ensured all decisions could be made instantaneously. That is the real-time crisis we were dealing with.”

Was the ex-PM right to do this at the time? Or is another example of government overreach?

XPS

Oh my goodness, he truely is the son of Trump. But the really disturbing thing, is that his party stood by and let him do it.

What he put in place was very close to a first step to a Dictatorship.  Why would it be a good idea to have one person in control of three or four portfolios that could change the course of our country by virtue of the opinions of one person.

We do indeed need  thorough investigation of this man and his party’s activities over the last two terms of government.  Maybe we need to search his home for sensitive documents that he may have taken home for a bit of personal insurance.

Jacka
      Participant

What would you expect, he’s a politician, that says it all. Jacka.

Tom Tank
        Participant

Sorry Jacka but this is worse than him being a politician as what he did was unheard off and never done in the past. To me it shows what a control freak he is and there have been comments from within the Liberal party that he was a bully and could be quite unpleasant.

He should be found guilty of unethical behaviour and lose his seat in Parliament and his pension. He has demeaned the role of Prime Minister and why should the taxpayers continue to pay him when he has behaved so shockingly.

XPS

Jacka, what I expect is leadership by example.  What I expect, is that politicians have the balls to do what is right, not what they think they can get away with. I expect voters to see these people for what they are and punish them at the ballot box. 

Politicians behave badly because we let them get away with it.

HOLA

I hope there is a full investigation into this shocking behaviour. Scotty from Marketing is at it again. And typical of Ministers having a lapse of memory when they are asked the hard questions. He should be stood down from all duties until this matter is resolved. 

Lizzy
      Participant

Firstly, it’s unheard of to do this after the cabinet is appointed but many PMs have done this in the first days after an election as a temporary measure.

Secondly the politics are obvious – his minister had granted a mining exploration lease off Sydney’s northern beaches, which left all his Sydney MPs scrambling to convince him that this would be electoral suicide…so Morrison appointed himself to overturn the decision. The mining company is now suing the government claiming that the lease was improperly overturned…the court case will be another cost we taxpayers don’t need

Why he wanted powers across the other portfolios remains to be discovered…

disillusioned
      Participant

There was a politician in Queensland years ago who was laughingly referred to as “The Minister for Everything”. I think that title should now go to Scomo, who wasn’t going to be outdone on those ego stakes! Shame he didn’t put the same amount of enthusiasm into getting us the vaccine when it was offered by Pfizer to his LNP government back in June 2020 instead of bunging on his “it’s not a race” rant, & delaying the whole procedure for over 6 months! 

Karl Marx
        Participant

Russ Hinze wasn’t secretive about his portfolios. He also wasn’t premier of Qld either, old Joe was. Nothing hidden about Russ Hinze’s powers or portfolios whether you agreed or not. 

I always saw Morrison not as Scomo but as Scumo, now a more fitting tag don’t you think.

Crowcrag

There has been no satisfactory reason as to WHY he did this. Perplexity from political commentators is a common factor. Yet, no one has suggested one reason which in Morrison’s case is worth consideration. His religious convictions. Does he believe he is empowered by his god to have done this? In his internal conversations with his friend on high, did he hear what he wanted to hear – you are the only one to carry out the wishes of your maker?  Too silly? Hmm…

54-11

Not too silly at all, Crow. He’s so delusional with his fruitcake beliefs that he truly thinks he’s been directly blessed by god. One of his best mates is Brian Houston of Hillsong, who’s also a megalomaniac (and who covered up his father’s pedophilia). Another mate is one of the crackpot conspiracy theorists.

Scummo is completely off this planet, lives in a fantasy world where he’s the “chosen one”. And all this has been allowed and supported by the Liberal Party – did you see the interview with John Howard? Scary stuff!

54-11

From “This is coal, don’t be scared of it”, I don’t hold a hose, mate”, ‘It’s not a race”, the yawning chasm between Scummo and the truth, promoting his bible study group (think Stuart Robert), having to ask Jenny if sexual assault was OK or not, ministerial standards somewhere between the gutter and the sewer, a complete lack of empathy (think Grace Tame), a psychopathic personality, now to this. That’s before we get to Engadine Maccas, being sacked by NZ Tourism, et al.

He clearly has a Messiah complex – thinks he’s Jesus Christ’s second coming.

What an absolute fruitcake.

Karl Marx
      Participant

He has appologised to his cabinet members but where’s the apology to the Australian people.

I always saw Morrison not as Scomo but as Scumo, now a more fitting tag don’t you think.

HOLA

In ex-PM John Howard’s new book, he is scathing in his assumption of Scott Morrison, here is an extract of John Howard’s critisms of the Morrison Government. ‘Political management was often defective. Failure to put integrity commission vote to parliament. Internal differences over religious discrimination bill. ‘Egregious’ Attack on Aust.Post CEO Christine Holgate. Factionalism has poisoned the Liberal Party’s Body Politics. Then in the next breath he is praising the man up? And did you see Scomo giving his speech at the Convention at the Margaret Court’s Church, saying “You can’t trust Governments”????? How right he is. 

Ny19
        Participant

At the end of 2019 Barnaby Joyce made a video in which he drunkenly ranted also that “we should not trust government”. He pointed his finger to the sky and said we should only trust him up there in the sky (God). Ha ha, it was really funny but I think it has been taken down because I can’t find it. He was feeding his cows when he made it and had straw all over his face.

RnR

This may be the one you are thinking of Ny19 …

“I just don’t want the government any more in my life, I am sick of the government being in my life.” With the camera pointing to the sky, the former deputy prime minister urges Australians to respect God.

“There’s a higher authority that’s beyond our comprehension – right up there in the sky. And unless we understand that that’s got to be respected, then we’re just fools. We’re going to get nailed.”

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/dec/25/barnaby-joyce-sick-government-being-in-my-life-taxes-climate-change

Ny19
        Participant

Thanks RnR. Good to see that crazy clip again. I think the original was on YouTube and was much longer than that but he must have managed to get it taken down.

Ny19
        Participant

Or maybe it was on twitter which would explain why I couldn’t find it 🙂

gibbo111
      Participant

I did wonder why he didn’t have the defence portfolio as well seeing that Dutton has had covid twice. But then scummo would have been keeping Dutton very close as he would be his biggest enemy in the LNP. 

54-11

It’s really interesting that Bernard Keane of Crikey wrote a book called Lies and Falsehoods The Morrison Government and the New Culture of Deceit (https://www.booktopia.com.au/lies-and-falsehoods-bernard-keane/book/9781743798355.html)

Normally a book and title like that would result in a flurry of lawsuits. This one? Nothing at all, because Morrison is a compulsive liar whose complete disregard for the truth and honesty have been in the public domain for decades.

Sophie

There are stories upon stories about what occurred. One story is Morrison “swore himself in”…. well, only the Governor General can appoint ministers.

It has been confirmed the governor general did appoint the prime minister to administer other ministerial portfolios, but no details have so far been provided. If the Governor General knew about it, then why was it kept secret? That is a compete mystery and needs explanation.

The fact is, ministers can be struck down sick, go on holidays or be out of the country on business, so there is always a need for another minister to be able to exercise their powers. During the pandemic, no one knew what was going to happen at any given time, so some precautions were necessary…BUT… why the secrecy?

Clearly an investigation is required and fast, but in my opinion, Morrison should leave Parliament taking with him Littleproud and Barnaby Joyce who wholeheartedly support him in this unethical behaviour.

Taking control of power under the cloak of secrecy reeks to me of someone who fancies himself as a dictator. In a democracy it is  important for the prime minister to keep his ministers in the loop, not go off at a tangent and do his own thing.

Poppa Bear
        Participant

I agree with you Sophie, that during the early days of the pandemic there was a lot of uncertainty, so it’s not surprising that some decisions were made which, in hindsight, turned out to be unnecessary. I would put the PM’s actions in that category.

However, also like you, I don’t understand why those decisions were kept secret. NOT a good idea!

At the very least, he should apologise for his actions. As to whether or not he should leave Parliament, I’d leave that up to his party. If they reprimand him, fine him, whatever, well and good, let’s move on. But if they endorse his actions, that would tell the Australian public that his attitude extends far beyond just his office!

Sophie

if they endorse his actions, that would tell the Australian public that his attitude extends far beyond just his office!”

Yes Poppa Bear…totally agree.  Those in leadership positions have to realise  that transparency builds trust.

All Scott M has done over time is build up suspicion and distrust in my opinion.

It’s clear he is not going to apologise to the public.

Ny19
      Participant

Morrison was not popular with women because his controlling behaviour has always been evident. Arrogance, lies and deceit, lack of empathy and sensitivity, domineering…running off at the mouth speaking “at” people, speaking down, forcing handshakes on unwilling participants…..and I could go on. I am not surprised that he has secretly tried to run the whole government show. He obviously didn’t trust his ministers and sought complete control. That is scary! We need laws to protect against megalomaniac ambition in the future. He should definitely be sacked and should lose his pension.

Horace Cope

Here we go again, everybody piles onto a politician because Albo says it’s wrong and heads should roll. What we have here, as most posters have pointed out, is an “unprecedented” act by a PM. Nowhere does it say that apart from maybe never happening before is it illegal. So much of a song and dance by Albo also coincides with a report in the NSW parliament about sexual harassment and bullying which allegedly shows that a Labor member, Secord, is the worst of them all and he has stepped down. Is Albo trying to shift the spotlight or is my cynicism kicking in.

ronjohn
        Participant

No you are just a fw!

Horace Cope

So that’s all you’ve got, ronjohn, just a bit of useless name-calling, no rebuttal, no facts to refute my post? That post says a lot more about you than it does about me.

Diogenes
        Participant

Couldn’t agree more Horace. Its; ronjohn who is the fw (and yes I know I have just sunk to his level…perhaps that is what is required sadly given the quality of the debate)

Tood
        Participant

So true Horace, another storm in a tea cup. It’s in the past, it’s over , so get over it, the world didn’t end !!!!   I hope Scottie tells them where to go.

Meanwhile whining willie wanker Albo needs to pull his head in and get on with the real problems we are facing NOW instead of being the “Dynamic Deflector.”

XPS

Just because something is legal does not make it right, there is no satisfactory reason to explain why it was required. Scamo just has an unquenchable thirst for power, even though he has no idea what to do with it when he has it.

Upsadaisy

Albanese has raised this issue but the crux of the matter is, do you want a democratic government or an autocratic one?  It doesn’t matter what excuse Scumo uses or even that he is no longer our PM, he should resign.

Reply to TOOD

What a disgusting person you are.  No need whatsoever for that kind of comment.

54-11

I wondered how long it would be before the Morrison apologists crawled out from under the rock they’ve been hiding under. First of all, Horace, Albo has had the highest, record-breaking satisfaction rating for a new prime minister. Slagging him off is a waste of your time, as he’s doing a great job under difficult circumstances. 

It’s interesting to note that during the GFC, Abbott and his ilk were obstructionists. During the pandemic, Labor supported the Coalition. Now that the shoe’s back on the other foot, Dutton is again doing his Abbott impression. Just shows the calibre of the mob that Horace supports. Wreckers, destroyers and abject mongrels.

Back to Scummo – you are asking what he did wrong. Where do we start. Scummo clearly does not understand the political system in this country. It is a cabinet government, where the PM is first among equals. But that doesn’t work for Scummo. No, he’s the messiah and must control everything. But the worst is that he did it all in secret.

Horace, I would assume that you support the Monarchy and her representative. Why then, would Scummo deliberately and with malice aforethought, hang the GG out to dry? In his press conference, Scummo today blamed the GG for not telling people about the changed arrangements.

Horace, I would have thought that, at least, would have had you seeing red!

Sue Ridge
        Participant

Goodness, Upsadaisy, pot, kettle, black springs to mind. It’s OK to label one person with a derogatory term who is Liberal but not OK to label another person with a derogatory term who is Labor?

Lucca

COVID national plan: Why grabbing a jab is the real plan that everyone  should get behind | The West Australian

LOL

Sophie

Yes Lucca…I do believe you are right, Scott M does have a plan!

Earlier this month he registerd a private company called Triginta Pty Ltd. which means “30” in Latin. He appointed himself Director and is the only shareholder with 10 shares…so far. The purpose of the company is unknown!

What is interesting though is the number “30” which is a significant number in the Bible. Number 30 is considered to be a number of maturity, loyalty and true dedication to certain sphere or action.

According to Biblical belief the number 30 will help you grow in a spiritual sense and make your relationship with God stronger.

I have to wonder if this is something to do with his church!

Lucca

Didn’t know about this. Good to see Scotty has something in the pipeline. Shameful the way everyone is treating the guy.

RnR

Peter Dutton tells Scott Morrison to apologise to Karen Andrews for secretly taking joint control of her home affairs portfolio last year as senior Nationals Senate leader Bridget McKenzie accuses ex-PM of breaching Coalition agreement.

Full story.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.