Favourite fruit in short supply this summer

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Brace yourself for potential changes to your summer fruit favourites.

Australian mango lovers may have to adjust their expectations this year, as farmers in Queensland express concerns over supply and prices.

According to reports, a warmer-than-average winter has affected mango production, which might lead to fewer mangoes on supermarket shelves. Queensland mango producers, responsible for over 40% of Australia’s supply, have suffered significantly reduced yields, with some varieties expected to be reduced by about 60%.

“It’s a combination of a warm winter and a big crop last year but this year’s winter hasn’t been cold enough to get trees to fruit,” says Brad Bowen, the owner of Sandy Cove Mango Plantation. “We’re definitely concerned.”

Reduced yields might result in lower stock levels and potentially higher prices this summer, as farmers look to cover the cost to produce more fruit in the future.

What are your thoughts on the potential shortage of mangoes this year? How do you plan to adjust your summer fruit choices? What is your favourite summer fruit?

Cosmo
      Participant

I notice that this article is laced with a number of “maybes & mights”. I see however, that Northern Territory maangoes are already in Woolies about a month ahead of schedule. It just ‘might’ be that like avocados and strawberries we are in for a glut of mangoes and ‘maybe’ growers just ‘might’ be saying “get in there and buy otherwise we ‘maybe’ in a spot!”
      My mangoes will be later than the main crop but our area also experienced record warmth this winter yet I have never seen so many mangoes on my trees. Just saying.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.