Freaky food combinations

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Claire Halliday

We all know how Elvis’ love of putting a thick spread of peanut butter, mashed banana and bacon between two pieces of fried bread ended up. But when it comes to other food combinations, some that may seem freaky (and actually kind of revolting) to one person can be a taste sensation, according to the tastebuds of someone else.

When I grew up in Adelaide, next-door to my grandmother, the afternoon tea treat she shared with me was something that is still a guilty pleasure. I say guilty, because when I tell people, they turn their nose up at me and look at me like I’m mad.

Maybe I am … but putting Vegemite on Yo-Yo biscuits is one of my favourite flavour combos.
      Now, before you think the worst, growing up in South Australia means that Yo-Yo biscuits to me is not a thick sandwich of shortbread with a huge wad of butter cream. Think of my humble childhood Yo-Yo as more like a Teddy Bear biscuit. Kind of plain, yet sweet (and wonderful with a smear of salty Vegemite!).

In a similar vein, I do love spreading Vegemite on toast with a fried or poached egg on top too.

My former mother-in-law still puts orange juice on her breakfast cereal – and I will never understand why.

I have another friend who swears by cream cheese with sliced strawberries on a toasted bagel and I can imagine a day I’ll try that, though.

Do you have a favourite strange food combination that you keep to yourself? Or have you been introduced to a food blend you hope you never have to taste again?

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.