Government zealots ripping friends apart

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Jan Fisher
      Keymaster

Do government officials have too much time on their hands?

Last week Queensland authorities seized a magpie that had been living with a family and made friends with their dog because the owners were not registered wildlife carers.

Mollie the magpie had joined the family after a couple rescued the bird as a chick. They nursed him to adulthood and during that time he became fast friends with the family’s dog Peggy.

The family found popularity online as they shared videos and pictures of the two animals together, but this popularity also put them in the sights of animal welfare officers.

The Department of Environmental Science and Innovation (DESI) seized the bird last week and announced it would be housed in a “suitable facility”.

The department claimed the bird was being kept unlawfully, despite the magpie not being kept in a cage and able to fly away when it wanted to.

The officials said the bird will have to be ‘housed’ because it is used to human contact and would not be suitable to live in the wild, this is despite the fact it has been living in the wild.

Not surprisingly this has provoked a storm of protest about government power.

What do you think, should Molly be returned

Pat
      Participant

absolutely! Molly was a “free agent” able to come & go as she pleased, she chose to stay.
      DESI definitely overstepped, I’m sure if they had investigated PROPERLY poor Molly wouldn’t be in this situation, shame on you for causing such stress on wildlife you purport to care about.

CountryCatkin
      Participant

When I saw the news clip on tv news, I was disgusted at the uncaring, unthinking and heavy-handed way this matter was treated. Absolutely ridiculous to treat these creatures in such a manner. Some stickler for red tape using their little moment of power to separate these two little friends. I would hope there has been a protest closer to home. Idiocy in the extreme with this one case being used to make an example of inflexible dictates.

mitchell lowe
      Participant

people are being used as excuses for the govt to control us
      Govt are making too many decicions on the way we live
      dont smoke ut really they do not want you to stop
      Can you imagine where the govt would get the same revenue from if tobacco products were banned
      dont drink or you will pay extra to do so
      wear seatbelts PEOPLE drove around for over 80 years without being told to wear them and seatbelts themselves can cause injury like broken ribs
      track your whereabouts by your phone and street cameras
      Now they are talking about a cashless society which means the GOVT will be able to track your expenditure
      PEOPLE SHOULD BE GREEN FRIENDLY AND GET SOLAR SO THE ELECTRICITY COMPANIES GOVT CAN EXPLOIT YOUR CONTRIBUTION TO A BETTER GREENHOUSE EFFECT

ronloby
      Participant

I believe the Gov. has overstepped the mark with this one. The bird is or was free to fly wherever it wanted to but now is in a cage. Give the bird back to those who have cared for it since it was a chick.

Old B.
      Participant

Absolutely brain dead regulations.

twiga
      Participant

Disgraceful, cruel decision to cage a free bird removing it from all it knows – shame, shame, shame on you Department of Environmental Science and Innovation – taxpayer money should not be used at the whim of a bureaucrat – get a grip on some common sense

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.