Hot cross buns given the tick

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Jan Fisher
      Keymaster

There is a bun fight going on in England at the moment.

A UK supermarket is selling hot cross buns without the cross and people are well … cross.
      Quick reminder for all those atheists and lapsed Christians out there, the cross is meant to represent the crucifix.

Back to our story, Iceland supermarket is running a trial of buns with a tick instead of a cross. Hot ticked buns does not have the same ring about it.

It’s not going well in some sections of the community.

Henrietta Blyth, of Christian UK charity Open Doors, said the traditional buns “remind us of God being prepared to become human and submit to the worst evils humanity can throw at him and emerge triumphant”.

Hmm, not sure delicious fruity baked goods are exactly what God was going for when he wanted to remind us of Jesus’ suffering, but here we are.

My local Vietnamese bakery used to put a circle on their buns out of Easter season, but I notice they are just using a cross all year round now. We all managed to get on with our life.

What do you think, should hot cross buns be crossed or ticked?

Rod63
      Participant

No ticks and no crosses. We don’t need either. Just plain fruit buns are great.

Mocha
      Participant

Hot Cross Buns in certain sections of our society signifies something that they believe in. I do not believe that we have the right to take that away from them. Do you do this to other religions that live as part of our nation? It just seems to me that Christians are just expected to roll over and take whatever is thrown at them.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.