Household activity that reduces dementia risk

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Janelle Ward

An everyday home-based activity could help to reduce dementia risk, according to an occupational therapist.
      Rachel Seabrook is talking up the merits of baking.
      “Baking involves reading recipes, writing shopping lists for ingredients, measuring and calculating the right amounts, planning, problem solving and increasing concentration,” she says. “All of which can help to keep the brain and memory active and stimulated.”
      Another health professional, Dr Ioannis Lianas, concurs.
      “Baking, like many other activities that involve the use of many components of the brain, can be a great way to maintain brain stimulation,” he says.
      “When baking we must measure, time, mix, smell and taste; these are all actions that require stimulation of the cognitive, motor, sensory and emotional functions of the brain.”
      He says baking is a ‘good’ way to help reduce dementia risk, but says other activities, such as puzzles, crosswords, reading and continuous learning and education, also assist.
      How do you challenge yourself mentally? Do you attempt complex recipes?

Sue Bailey
      Participant

Baking, yes, I’d love to be able to do more if it, but standing to do the prep is no good for my back pain.

I love baking. I wonder if eating bakery goods has a similar effect? 😉

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.