How happy are Aussies compared to others?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Brad Lockyer
      Keymaster

Australia is among the 10 happiest countries on the planet, according to the World Happiness Report.

We did only just make it though, scraping into 10th place, although we managed to edge out our cousins across the ditch in 11th. We’re also well ahead of the UK (20th) and US (23rd)
      Finland was proclaimed the happiest country on Earth and its fellow Nordic countries surrounded it in the top 5.

The report also found there was significant ‘happiness inequality’ in Australia. What they meant by this was that it seems older Australians are generally happier than younger ones.

Australians aged 60 and over ranked ninth happiest in the world, while those under 30 ranked just 19th.

This phenomenon wasn’t unique to Australia. Happiness inequality increased in every region except Europe, which authors described as a “worrying trend”.

Top 10 happiest countries in the world

1. Finland
      2. Denmark
      3. Iceland
      4. Sweden
      5. Israel
      6. Netherlands
      7. Norway
      8. Luxembourg
      9. Switzerland
      10. Australia

Would you say you’re generally happy with life?

Not surprised older people are happier. They grew up in an age where expectations were far less and kids made their own fun. They learned to enjoy the simple things in life – to appreciate nature, family, friends, memories, a secure job, small comforts. Younger folk seem to need all the material comforts, expensive holidays, expensive celebrations, larger and grander homes, high salaries, career satisfaction…
      I just think older folk are generally happier because it takes far less to make them happy.
      But ultimately, happiness is a choice. You can choose to sing and smile your way through life, and appreciate the little joys in every day, or you can choose to focus on the negatives and be miserable. If you think the external environment, possessions, or the behaviour of certain people is your key to happiness, you will be deeply disappointed.
      My father-in-law was the happiest man I’ve ever met, and he had a shocking life – his health destroyed in a war prison before he turned 20; lived in abject poverty his whole life, lost four of his children, suffered horrific injustice… Yet he always had a big smile, and he used to tell me he was happy that the sun came up on a new day and a new opportunity to do something kind and good for someone.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
[snax_content]

Forgot password?

Don't have an account? Register

Forgot password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Privacy Policy

Add to Collection

No Collections

Here you'll find all collections you've created before.