How to get rid of weeds in the garden

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      HOLA

I saw this handy hint the other day and it looks like a winner. Plus, it’s not as expensive was some weed killers you find in the garden centres.

2 litres of White Vinegar

1 cup salt

1 tablespoon of detergent

Mix altogether in a large container or spray bottle.

Spray on all weeds but be careful it doesn’t go on to the plants.

It’s best to spray on a hot day and when there is no rain for a couple of days.

RnR

I have found boiling water or bleach very effective too when poured/sprayed on weeds only, avoiding surrounding plants.

HOLA

That sounds good advice too RnR. 

Frankly
        Participant

Bleach is highly toxic, wouldn’t use it

OnlyDaughter

I have tried all the home-made remedies, including the one above, without success.  The one suggested will only desiccate or dry out the leaves.  It doesn’t kill the plant’s root, so the weed can, and frequently does, grow again.  Boiling water will kill weeds and their roots.  If you have a lightweight steam cleaner and enough electric leads, this works a treat. Living on acreage, this doesn’t work for me.   I have found the best ‘eco friendly’ weed killer that actually works is a product called Slasher from Bunnings.  Also there is a physical weed remover that you can buy which is easy to use and works brilliantly from a standing position, so no bending.

RnR

OnlyDaughter, I’ve used Slasher too and found it effective.

I’ve used Slasher, too, but you really have to get the mixture right. I err on the side of stronger, because there have been a couple of times where the ‘right-on’ mixture hasn’t been enough to kill the weeds.
        The only way to get rid of them is to dig them up. But then there are some you dig up and it only makes it worse!

Taragosun
        Participant

OnlyDaughter, I note you live on acreage.  We do too and currently are infested with lots of Bindi’s – do you have any suggestions that may help with getting rid of them, without killing the grass it is infesting. Weeding them out is impossible as there are now so many of them.

FrankC
      Participant

Petrol is also highly effective ! a piece of cloth tied to a stick, soak in petrol, and dab onto the weed. Not when it is going to rain.

Has anyone here seen this movie?

About a bunch of prisoners who embrace the beauty of weeds and turn them into an award-winning garden. Very cool…

Jan Fisher
      Keymaster

Boiling water gets rids of most of the weeds in my paving except for onion weed which merely looks at me and says ‘tah mate for the lush shower’ and goes on its merry way.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.