How’s your alcohol consumption (and do Gen Z have it right?)

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Gary Andrews
      Keymaster

I spotted a news story this week that a Perth venue blamed the decline of the city’s live music scene on Gen Z drinking less. It got me thinking about my own alcohol consumption.

Having a beer – or a hard earned thirst, as VB remind us – feels quintessentially Australian. And if beer isn’t your thing, we have some of the best wines in the world. And all of us have a spirit we’re partial to. Gin, in my case.

Plus, Australia has so many excellent craft breweries (a shout out to the Eden microbrewery in Mittagong, which I discovered on a recent long weekend away), not to mention spirits.

And yet, like everyone else, I’m tightening my belt – metaphorically and literally (I’m aware beer is essentially calories). I’m a bit more conscious of my health, I’m a lot more conscious of my hangovers getting worse, and I’m spending a lot less time in the pub. Plus the low or zero alcohol options are tasting a lot better. I’m more likely to have a Heaps Normal in my fridge these days. And even my father-in-law, in his mid 80s, has shifted to no alcohol alternatives from Peroni and Heineken (I’m less convinced of the taste of these, mind).

And I can’t remember the last time I had a drink at a gig, largely because it’s overpriced and I’d rather watch the music than queue for a drink.

In fact the only time I drink regularly is at the assorted types of footy I watch. Mind you, given the Bunnies form this season and the somewhat questionable quality of the A League, I think that’s pretty much a pre-requisite.

So are Gen Z to blame? Or is the idea of having a drink just a lot less appealing to you these days?

The Bronze Anzac
      Participant

I’m 79 years young. Several years ago I changed from full-strength beer to mid-strength. Then a few years ago I further changed to light beer. I then further reduced my intake, so I purchased 330ml cans instead of 375ml or bigger cans. Then I decided to reduce my intake from 6 cans per day to 5 & then further to 4 & 3. I found that I improved my general health, fitness & exercise & I lost weight as well. My wife does not drink alcohol. I found our relationship improved during my planned reduction of alcohol. My plan took a while, but I can thoroughly recommend it. It’s a simple & cost-effective plan as well. Cheers.

Taragosun
      Participant

I reverted to zero alcohol wine some years ago now and haven’t looked back. I am now used to the flavour but usually have a bottle only every few weeks and take one with me if going out. Don’t miss alcohol at all. I am female 76.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.