Is this Australia’s final voyage to Eurovision – and do you care?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Claire Halliday

Is the news that 2023 could be Australia’s last year competing in the Eurovision competition could be our last foray into the cross-continental talent show really news at all?
      I mean … why were we ever there at all?
      It all started with Jessica Mauboy being invited to be a guest performer during the interval of the 2014 Eurovision extravaganza in Denmark.
      Is that where the Australian connection should have stopped?
      After all, for most of its 69-year history — as the name suggests — the contest has been home to performers with a European connection.
      Frankly, after Buck’s Fizz won in 1981 for Making Your Mind Up, I’m not sure why the UK has been allowed to keep entering …

What are your own memories of Eurovision? Will you be sad if Australia bows out? Will you be watching the Australian 2023 entry, Voyager in the final?

Jacka
      Participant

Over the years I have watched Eurovision on a number of occasion. Always interesting but not always overly entertaining. A lot of very strange people have taken the stage they’re over the years. I think Europe is a great place for Eurovision, far far from Australia. I also think Australia’s exit from Eurovision should have taken place after Jessica Mauboy’s shocking performance, which was graded a long last by all participants in the event. And I am still scratching my head as to why we were there in the first place. Have a good day, a confused Jacka.

Cosmo
      Participant

Eurovision has become weirder and weirder as the years go by. It used to be good but it’s now hardly about music, certainly not melody, more about noise and lighting effects. When I hear a short preview of the winning performance I’m so pleased I didn’t waste time watching the failures. Quite happy Australia not continuing in it but given the cohort which strongly supports it, I’m sure SBS will continue to cover it.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.