Is this the future of car parks?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Andrew Gigacz
      Participant

Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best. That may be the case at the Glebe Hill shopping centre in Tasmania, where the car park has a distinctive feature. Rather than a single white line to separate parking bays, a double line. The pair of lines are separate by a fair bit of space, which has the effect of virtually guaranteeing enough door-opening room for all cars.

This affords a buffer zone for those who struggle to leave an equal space from lines either side when parking, or those who drive a car so big it barely fits into a standard sized parking space.

As someone whose blood boils at the sight of a car not parked within an allotted space, I think the Glebe Hill concept is a reasonable idea. But of course what it requires is more space overall, meaning fewer cars parked in the same total area as previously. Given the lack of spaces available at many of the shopping centres I visit already, I wonder how many others would be prepared to take on such a concept.

What do you think? Is the parking space buffer zone a good idea?

Marten
      Participant

An excellent idea; in particular that so many people for one reason or another choose to prefer larger than usual cars!

ronloby
      Participant

A good idea. Many don’t seem to know how to park a vehicle correctly anyway.

[email protected]
      Participant

This is not really a new concept, Westfield Plaza at Penrith NSW has had a similar arrangement for years. However, it is certainly a great idea and helps keep cars etc a reasonable distance apart.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.