Local council draws controversy with book ban

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Brad Lockyer
      Keymaster

Cumberland City council, which covers most of western Sydney, has come under fire for a decision it has made to ban parenting books featuring same-sex parents from libraries in the council area.

The motion was put forward by councillor Steve Christou, who is a former mayor of the local government area. Speaking to Channel 9, Mr Christou claimed the parenting books were ‘sexualised’.

“Our community doesn’t want any form of sexualised books or our kids being opened up to any form of sexualisation in the libraries.”

He did not provide any reasoning as to why he thinks the books are ‘sexualised’, apart from the fact the book features same-sex parents.

The move has drawn criticism, with many noticing the parallels between the ban and book bans currently taking place in the United States.

NSW health minister Ryan Park condemned Mr Christou’s proposal and warned it may put Cumberland City Council in breach of the state’s anti-discrimination act.

“It’s a pretty sad state of affairs when a democratic arm of government, local government, decide to start banning books,” he said.

“If we’re going to have a council operate and start to become a censorship body, then we will have a look at the public funds that we provide them. I don’t think it’s a wise idea for a council to start censoring what their local residents and ratepayers choose to read or not.”

What do you think? Were the council right to ban this book? Or should government not be telling people what they can read?

Suzanne
      Participant

Wow, this is so scary. I’m 74 years old and I keep hoping that humanity is evolving, that we are getting more conscious, more embracing, kinder to our fellow man. We think that we are modern, we have all manner of scientific and technological developments in our daily life, and yet our community and care of our fellow man/woman, bobs up and down like a cork in the ocean.
      I hope this serves:
      1. To bring a response to support freedom of thought and awareness in our libraries.
      2. To bring support to same sex couples, and ensure their human right to choose the relationship of their choice, become families and live in peace and security.
      Thank you for this article. Censorship in our libraries is a very poor reflection on the direction of our consciousness and society. Suzanne

Pat
      Participant

Ditto! I whole-heartedly agree with Suzanne, humanity might have evolved, but in the
      but in the wrong direction, in my opinion. Pat

Poppa Bear
      Participant

It also depends which section of the library held the book. In particular, if it contains material suitable for adults, but is available for children to read, or borrow, then that needs to be addressed. Our kids face enough pressure already without adding more, especially in the sexual area.
      If this book falls into this category, then I would commend the Council for trying to protect our kids.

Gordon Nussey
      Participant

So they are banning a “Parenting Book”, IE: a book targeted at those who are contemplating becoming a Parent, and therefore would not be available for children to book out.

[email protected]
      Participant

As this is Australia and we resespect other peoples views and religion it is about time that they do the same for us. It is freedom of speech that they are trying to take away from us and the right for us to read what we want.The community pays rates and therefore everyone has the right to have the books available. I was also a migrant back in the 1950’s and my perants said we live here in peace lets all live together in harmony and not push our beliefs onto others.
      M. Baird

[email protected]
      Participant

As this is Australia and we resespect other peoples views and religion it is about time that they do the same for us. It is freedom of speech that they are trying to take away from us and the right for us to read what we want.The community pays rates and therefore everyone has the right to have the books available. I was also a migrant back in the 1950’s and my perants said we live here in peace lets all live together in harmony and not push our beliefs onto others. Also since some adults are not able to explain or teach the children about sex these books are important, to help perants. Have them where small children cannot obtain them without a perant. I bought a book for my sons many years ago called what is happening to me and talking it through with them was wonderful especialy the questioned they asked. Perants of all nationality or religion should have they eyes open and look at how it will help girls and boys in our society. Its not something disgustion its mother nature and beautiful.
      M. Baird

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.