No more Fantales on the shelf? DIY Fantales at home!

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Claire Halliday

All hail Taste.com.au!
      I’m a longtime fan of their go-to recipes that seem to pop into my email box each time I am starting into the abyss of my pantry cupboard, but this week’s recipe addition is even more of a relief.
      Fantales! At home? All that’s missing is the wrappers but for my next movie night streaming session (tomorrow night, maybe?), at least I can feel that familiar jaw-ache of chewy caramel.
      Here’s how you can too:

7 ingredients

7 Ingredients

395g can sweetened condensed milk

100g (1/2 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar

100g (1/2 cup) caster sugar

125g salted butter

1/4 cup glucose syrup

400g milk chocolate, chopped

2 tsp canola oil

5 steps
      Step 1
      Place the condensed milk, brown sugar, caster sugar, butter and glucose syrup in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium and cook, at a strong boil, stirring constantly for 5-7 minutes or until the mixture is a deep caramel and pulls away from the side of the saucepan.
      Step 2
      Divide the caramel evenly among two 12-hole, 30ml-capacity, ice-cube trays. Place in the fridge and chill until cool. Twist the ice-cube trays gently to release the caramels. Place the caramels, base-side down, on a wire rack, over a shallow baking tray to catch the excess chocolate.
      Step 3
      Place the chocolate and oil in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute, stirring halfway, or until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
      Step 4
      Pour the chocolate mixture over the caramels to coat evenly. If the caramel pieces don’t get completely covered in chocolate, repeat by placing the wire rack over a second shallow baking tray and reusing the chocolate mixture that has collected in the first baking tray to pour over the caramels again.
      Step 5
      Chill until set.

Enjoy!

Will you miss Fantales? What out of production lolly or confectionery do you miss? What do you hope never stops being made? Share your stories in the comments below.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.