Oops! Family given $10.4 million refund instead of $100

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Drew Patchell
      Participant

Melbourne resident Thevamanogari Manivel last May was meant to receive a $100 refund from Crypto.com. Instead, she was transferred $10,474,143 according to court documents. Ms Manivel discovered the funds in December of 2021 and begun gifted the money to six other people, including family members.

The court last week ruled that Ms Manivel will have to pay Crypto.com all the money back plus additional costs in relation to legal fees and interest.

What would you do if $10 million appeared in your bank account?

David Ryder
      Participant

Hard to say what I would do in such a hypothetical situation. But the lady in question was clever enough to gift much of it away probably to relatives overseas from whom it will never be returned.
      Plus she will probably never be in a position to repay so much money so the company will have to write it off whatever the court says.

KSS
      Participant

It is an offense to retain moneys paid to you that clearly do not belong to you. I would suggest that not decarling $10.4 MILLION would satisfy that an offense has been committed. This is not the first time this has happened and probably will not be the last. Keeping the money that obviously does not belong to you is theft.

Couldabeen
      Participant

As Karen says, Ms Manivel is guilty of theft. She will be required to pay the entire amount back along with legal costs. Plus a quite significant Fine in due course. The fact that she may be unable to do so will be something for her to think about while in prison.
      Shed no tears for her as she has been very stupid and would’ve been aware of her mistake the moment she started to disburse the stolen currency.

Peter Taggart
      Participant

$10 mill? Hell yeah. I’ve never been to jail or even been a criminal but I would distribute that cash where it would never be found and toddle off to jail gleefully for heating, cooling, 3 square meals a day, and planned activities, sounds like an aged care home.
      At 67 I’m too old and wrinkly to be anyone’s prison b**ch so I would let the country pay my way for a while then be released to a drip-fed life of luxury ’till the end of my days.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.