Popular snack food could be hard to find come Christmas

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Recent (and continuing) floods could lead to a widespread potato shortage.

And this could lead to a shortage in a popular summer staple – potato chips.

“High levels of rainfall have impacted some potato crops, and while we are managing potato supply, we have been working closely with our retail partners to ensure our brands continue to be widely available,” said a spokesperson for PepsiCo who make Smith’s and Red Rock chips.

You can expect to to fewer packets of popular chips on shelves in Coles, Woolworths and Aldi.

“Due to supply chain issues affecting suppliers, some brands of potato chips may be unavailable,” said a Coles spokesperson.

Woolworths is preparing for the fallout, already pointing out other snack options available until the potato fallout blows over.

While this is bad news for entertaining at home and those who like licking their fingers after a handful of Honey Soy Chicken Chips, think about Australian potato farmers.

“Feel sorry for all the farmers, businesses and home owners,” one person said on Instagram.

“Not good news!” said another.

Some are looking at the ‘light’ side.

“Diet starts now,” one person said.

Pepsico said other chip brands, such as Doritos and Twisties, will not be affected.

Which potato-based foods will you most miss should the predicted spud shortage affect supplies?

Taragosun
      Participant

My potatoes are going fine so we will make our own potato chips, if necessary.

Lucky you! I haven’t had any trouble finding my favourite chips (so far)

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.