Public servants enjoy five-star dining and we pick up the tab

• This topic has 4 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 3 months ago by MjP.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Jan Fisher
      Keymaster

While public schools across the country struggle for funds it appears the bureaucrats running the education department have no problem treating themselves to expensive nights out.

Apparently public servants working for the department have been holding ‘meetings’ at expensive restaurants and charging the costs to the taxpayer.

A senate estimates committee hearing was told one of these ‘meetings’ cost $171 a head.
      Opposition education spokesperson Sarah Henderson summed it up well when she said these sorts of meetings should be over a “cup of tea and a biscuit”, not five-star restaurants.

According to The Guardian among the expenditures were $1840 at Ginger Indian Restaurant in Sydney, $509 at Black Fire Restaurant in Brisbane, $3000 at Mabu Mabu in Melbourne, $1209 at Courgette Restaurant in Canberra and $1543 at Mezzalira restaurant, also in the ACT.
      Department secretary Tony Cook had the decency to agree it was shameful.

“It should not have happened – we should not have been utilising taxpayers money in those sort of expenses.

“I think we have let taxpayers down.”

The sums are a drop in the bucket of the billion-dollar budget, but also a slap in the face for teachers and students struggling in sub-standard conditions.

Should the public servants involved pay the department back?

disillusioned
      Participant

Yes, they should pay back all the money over & above their daily meal allowance! When I was working for the state public service, we had a meal allowance for lunch, dinner, etc. while I was travelling on government business. This allowance I considered to be quite generous, but nowhere like what they’re running up today! Mind you, I don’t drink alcohol, so this might explain a goodly proportion of the bill!

ronloby
      Participant

They should not even have a meal allowance. Pay for your lunch like all other employees do, unless you are out of town on business. They are living a high life while schools scramble for money. Fix the problem NOW.

Tood
      Participant

These meetings should be held in the department boardrooms. Annoying that they knew they were doing wrong but still went ahead.

MjP
      Participant

The problem here is that the executives allowed such things to occur, so the people who took part should not be made to repay the money.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.