Sam Kerr praised online for racist slur

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Brad Lockyer
      Keymaster

She was Australia’s national sporting hero just a few short months ago, but it seems Matildas captain has got herself in some hot water with police in the UK, where she plays for English club Chelsea.

Ms Kerr is set to face a London court in April on charges of racially abusing a police officer. Kerr reportedly called the officer a ‘stupid white b*****d’ after police were called to solve a dispute between Ms Kerr and a taxi driver over a fare.

But although Football Australia CEO James Johnson called the allegations “unsettling” and “very serious”, many have since come out in defense of the soccer star, news.com.au is reporting.

When asked if he thought Ms Kerr’s remarks were racist, NSW premier Chris Minns told reporters simply “no”, and NSW health minister Ryan Park said “I’ve been called a lot worse, so no.”

Widespread support for Kerr and her comments could be seen online, including from Channel 7 commentator and former Hockeyroos player Georgie Parker.

Do you think what Sam Kerr was racist? Does she deserve praise?

Bazbee
      Participant

I’m sure that Sam Kerr has been called worse in her life too but racial villification laws are a two way street and she has broken the law in the view of the reporting officer. The online chat is that Sam had a few too many celebratory drinks, was sick in the taxi and refused to pay the driver extra for the cleanup so the Old Bill were summoned. However, this was a year ago and she’s just been charged- and it’ll be another year before she goes to trial. The wheels obviously turn slowly in the UK. After 2 years, is anyone still going to care? Surely she can apologise to the officer concerned and volunteer some coaching hours at the local junior soccer club. I’m sure that if the situation was reversed and the cop had called Sam a “black bastard” it could be settled without anybody’s career being damaged after waiting two years for a verdict. Perhaps Sam’s defence could rest on “bastard” being almost a term of endearment in Australia!

ronloby
      Participant

Remember she was drunk, sick, and angry. Was the copper a bit too domineering? Anyway, she should just say SORRY to the copper, and all should be OK. 12 months to file a charge is a bit long. I think he was trying to stir things up a bit.

stevo
      Participant

Who cares who she is, of course it was a racist slur. As a previous poster noted, if the tables were turned and the person was called a black bastard there would be an uproar and we’d never hear the end of it.
      I hope that this will weigh on her mind and in due course get what she deserves.

Diogenes
        Participant

Couldn’t agree with Stevo more!

JayVee
      Participant

Interesting difference between countries. Like a $ for every time over the years I have been called a “white c**t”; particularly where I did not or could not provide a cigarette – and often by children and teenagers.
      In the policeman’s “distress”, I would like to know his relationship to soccer teams or families allied thereto.
      Perhaps he is upset with Kerr’s impact in the team that dished up England in the last major competition. I cannot see a policeman being so thin skinned as to react to the alleged abuse without there being more behind it. Perhaps he wishes to ensure she does not make the olympics should she make a miraculous recovery from injury.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.