Should old trucks be forced off city roads?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Jan Fisher
      Keymaster

The Grattan Institute wants old trucks off the road, especially in the cities.
      The think tank claims exhaust pipe pollutants from trucks kill more than 400 Australians every year and contribute to diseases including lung cancer, stroke, heart disease, pneumonia and asthma.
      The institute wants trucks older than 1996 off the road as they emit 60 times the particulate matter of modern trucks. It also proposes a ban on pre-2003 diesel trucks in metropolitan centres of Melbourne and Sydney.
      And it goes further, with suggestions the government should impose binding sales targets for zero emissions trucks starting at 2 per cent in 2024 and all new sales by 2040.
      In an age when we rely on deliveries more and more, is this feasible?

David Watherston
      Participant

A ban on pre-2003 trucks within the metropolitan area of Melbourne and Sydney would have a devastating effect on transport in Australia unless new satellite transport depots can be established in regional areas. Trucks that start as B-triples or B-doubles in the far west and Darwin already have to be broken down before getting close to capital cities, however the prime-mover still comes into the metro area with the remaining trailer. These long distance haulers carry most of Australia’s freight, work long hours, value safety and make up for a rail freight system that is antiquated and inefficient. Look after our truckies as they look after us. Cut them some slack please!

Couldabeen
      Participant

The Gratten Institute appears to be a far left organisation by the tone of their recommendations and this is one.
      I can agree that it would be nice to only have contemporary generation vehicles servicing the inner cities but as time goes, there are less and less of them anyway.
      In real terms, the intercity long distance trucks pose no danger to the health of the community or the country as much of their travel can be kilometres away from habitation. All operators of these trucks like the idea of efficient clean vehicles as it indicates lower running costs.
      At this point there are no zero emissions heavy duty prime movers available on the market and where these will be available even by 2040 cannot be certain.
      The claims of deaths caused by these vehicles specifically are nebulous guesses made using lots of guesses on the effects of air pollution. Guesses and estimates are not science.
      I’d be looking at where the funding for the Gratten Institute comes from. Sounds agenda driven to me.

KSS
      Participant

I want to know what the Gratten Institute proposes to do with all the old trucks they want off the road. Where will they go? A truck graveyard in the desert? And while they come up with an answer to that, what are they going to do with all the petrol/diesel vehicles that the left want off the road in just over 7 years time?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.