Smokers hit with tough new laws

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Brad Lockyer
      Keymaster

Tougher legislation to combat discourage cigarette use and vaping is set to be introduced in parliament this week. The government aims to reduce the national smoking rate to five percent by 2030.

Under the new laws, cigarette packages would feature updated and extended graphic warnings, even at the individual cigarette level. Additionally, the legislation seeks to outlaw additives like menthols and impose advertising restrictions on vapes, aimed at stamping out vaping altogether.

Tobacco-related deaths claim around 20,000 Australian lives annually, making it the leading cause of preventable death and disability in the country.

Should the laws pass, the size and design of cigarette packets and products would be standardised, and filters would undergo uniform changes. Furthermore, both cigarettes and vapes would be prohibited from using enticing names that suggest reduced harm such as ‘light’.

Health promotion inserts would also become mandatory in packs and pouches.

Jacka
      Participant

I believe there should be amendments to where people can smoke. I don’t believe they should be allowed to smoke at bus stops walking up the street outside shopping centres in shopping centers it’s disgraceful you simply waiting for bus or walking along the foot path, next minute you’re hit with puffs or smoke from people walking past you. It’s both disgusting and disgraceful. Jacka.

Stuart
      Participant

I think out DICTATORS should mind their own business and stick to running our country Which they are doing a lousy job of, and i’m a non smoker.

[email protected]
      Participant

Too bad the self righteous are not punished for their evil thoughts. At least smokers demonstrate their actions and do not keep their evil thoughts and ways hidden. We have nicotine nazis, bin nazis and dog nazis, what next to appease the perfectionists who can cover their thoughts and hearts.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.