Test your spam-spotting skills

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Jan Fisher
      Keymaster

Can you spot a scam?

Australians lost more than $480 million in scams last year. Job scams came in at $24.7 million — an almost 155 per cent increase year-on year that made it the fastest-growing scam type in 2023.

t’s easy to say ‘what an idiot’ when you hear about some of these things, but as scammers become increasingly sophisticated, it’s hard to keep up with the latest scams.

So could you spot a scam?

Well the Australian Cyber Security Centre has set up a test to see if you can spot a scam.

Test your skills and see if you could beat the scammers by taking the test https://www.cyber.gov.au/protect-yourself/spotting-scams#sts–container.

Sue Bailey
      Participant

I’ve never visited the USA, or Africa, so I know that if I receive an email from either of these countries, I know they’re scams.

And ‘odd’ text messages telling me that I have an unpaid toll that needs to be paid are also ‘scams’, as I know where my car is all the time, and it’s certainly not been on any toll roads, as I only drive locally, and if I need to travel to relatives, I go nowhere near Sydney, or Melbourne to do so.

I’ve even had a voice message from the ‘supposed’ taxation office advising me that there’s an outstanding warrant for my arrest due to an unpaid tax bill. I know that all my tax affairs are up-to-date.

I’ve even had emails/texts from ‘other’ banks, asking me to log-on to their ‘internet banking’ and change my passcode and password and I just ignore & delete them.

I’m not scared of these ‘threats’.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.