Three mistakes that can destroy a first impression

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Brad Lockyer
      Keymaster

First impressions count, as the saying goes. We’re all aware you only get one chance to make a first impression, and that making a bad one is hard to come back from.

But what makes a bad first impression?

Body language expert Adrianne Carter told The Daily mail there are three body language mistakes people commonly make when meeting someone for the first time.

Never cross your arms or legs

Folding your arms can make you look defensive and ‘closed-off’, deterring people from talking to you.

Try to keep your arms and legs uncrossed, and look as ‘open’ as possible, even if crossing your legs would be a more comfortable position.

Don’t sprawl

On the other hand, you don’t want to appear too relaxed at first. If you are sitting on a chair or couch before meeting someone, make sure you’re not taking up too much space.

“Yes, spread-eagling on the cushions is one of the most comfortable ways to sit, but you need to be respectful of other people’s space,” Ms Carter says.

“They might not feel as relaxed lounging next to you straight away and want to ease into it at their own pace. Let them choose a comfy spot first.”

Don’t sit on the edge of your seat

Sprawling too much is a no-no, but so is sitting too close to the edge of your seat, says Ms Carter.
      This is because it can make you look tense, nervous and like you don’t really want to be there.

“Perching on the edge of your seat might seem like the most polite option (especially if you’re in their home), [but] this type of body language makes it look like you want to make a quick getaway or you’re not staying for long,” she says.

Would any of this body language leave a bad impression on you?

Blinky Bill
      Participant

Thank you Bradley for these three insights into body language, which do concur with the standards set by my parents for my siblings and I. This makes me think about my parents and others of my parents generation who conducted themselves in the same manner. Causing us children to present ourselves to the world with some self pride, while giving consideration to others.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.