Three unusual tips for growing better tomatoes

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

I recently came across some interesting tips for growing better tomatoes, and I couldn’t wait to share them with you all.

1. Precision pruning
      Have you ever considered trimming the side shoots of your tomato plants? While most gardeners focus on the main stem, removing the lateral branches, also known as suckers, supposedly boost the production of larger and juicier tomatoes, directing the plant’s energy towards developing the fruit instead of growing unnecessary foliage.

2. Epsom salt bath
      Evidently Epsom salt can potentially enhance the flavour and nutrients of your tomatoes. High in magnesium, Epsom salt can enhance the absorption of vital nutrients like nitrogen and phosphorus. Mix two tablespoons of Epsom salt with 3L of water and spray it on the soil around your tomato plants once a month.

3. Bury with a twist
      Instead of planting your tomato seedlings directly into the ground, bury them horizontally while leaving the top cluster of leaves above the soil. This unusual planting technique allows the tomato plant to develop a more extensive root system. Those additional roots lead to better nutrient absorption, resulting in stronger and healthier plants.

Have any of you tried these methods before? Do you have any other unusual tricks for growing fantastic tomatoes?

Jenny
      Participant

I do the pruning of the side shoots, and when planting the tomato plants I bury most of the stem, so that pretty has much the same effect as your proposed method. But I’ve never read of the Epsom salt bath, and I will certainly try that one too. Thank you!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.