Unclaimed Money

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Peter Sutton
      Participant

“All of us at the moment are grappling with the rising costs of living. Everything from food, utilities- such as electricity, gas and water, petrol costs, insurance premiums, to tradesman for essential repairs and maintenance.

Accommodation vacancy rates are very low, and this is reflected in a shortage of housing and rising rents.

Inflation as measured by the Australian Bureau of Statistics and based upon the Consumer Price Index was 6.0%.

Those of us receiving income support receive increases in our payments. This is due to indexation. There is however, a time lag for this and it’s catch up for increased prices which has already occurred.

We are looking at ways to ease the stress.

One way would be to search for lost and unclaimed money. About $1.5 Billion of lost money exists. This could be held in the form of forgotten bank accounts, unpaid dividends, lottery prizes, insurance and superannuation.

Often it can occur, if an individual changes address and forgets to update their address and contact details.

There is no time limit for claims.

It’s a very quick and easy process to search online.

Recently, I checked and discovered an unpaid dividend for myself of $25. I was able to claim this. I did also find a lost account of my mothers which held an unclaimed amount of $1711.

It’s very easy to find. The Government website MoneySmart.gov.au is very easy to use. I will provide a link here.

https://moneysmart.gov.au/find-unclaimed-money

It’s very easy. You may not locate any money, but it’s just a couple of minutes of time.

In these times, every little bit helps. “

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.