What generic products do you buy – and when do you prefer the branded version?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Claire Halliday

At the chemist the other day, I had to buy medication for my teenager.
      The pharmacist got quizzed by me when he asked if I wanted the generic version of the tablets, instead of the brand name.
      But are they really the same? I asked him five different ways until he compared the labels with me and showed me all the identical active ingredients that convinced me it was okay to save $40 and get the cheaper version.
      But some brand products, I try to avoid.
      Over the years, I’ve tested almost all of them – from tinned tomatoes to milk, sliced pineapple, cat litter and toilet paper.
      My findings now reveal a pantry cupboard that is a mix of both branded and the ‘home-brand’ version of whichever supermarket I’m closest to when I need something from my shopping list.
      The tinned tomatoes are a winner and mean decent savings in a household where pasta dishes are a staple.
      But, when it comes to the home-brand tissues compared to the delicately soft aloe vera-infused variety? Hmmmm. Okay for everyday but when it’s flu season, we’ve voted as a family and think that softness makes a difference.
      As cost of living expenses hit harder, though, I might become more flexible as time goes on.

What products will you accept the generic version of to save money?
      And are there any that you just won’t do – like medications or favourite foods?

Jacka
      Participant

The generic brands of medication are on a par with the big name products. You don’t have to worry about the effectiveness on the quality of the product they’re all A1. Supermarkets basics such as sugar, flour, milk, dried pasta, many canned products tomatoes, beetroot, beans, the list goes on, just as good as the Over Priced Brand-Name products. Don’t start me on tissues, since Covid-19 the quality, eg. thickness etc. has diminished along with dining napkins. Their probably ok for ladies taking off make-up and general bathroom use, however I’ve returned to the good old handkerchief. More effort but a far better result. That’s All, Jacka.

Ms Leith
        Participant

Home brands are crap when it comes to Baked Beans & Spaghetti, they’ve got no flavour compared to a couple of well known brands.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.