What would you prioritise in the upcoming budget?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Gary Andrews
      Keymaster

We’re close to budget day, and Brad has reported on the Council on Ageing’s submission to the government. It includes tackling ageing, the cost of dental treatment for older Australians, and rental assistance.

Budget priorities for older Australians

So, just image for a moment you were Jim Chalmers. You have the power to make life better for your friends, family and the over 65 community in Australia. What would you do?

David Ryder
      Participant

I would begin fixing the structural deficit in the budget. First things to do would be restrict negative gearing to new builds and crack down on multinational tax avoidance.

Next would be a crack down on overservicing and fraud in the medical professions and the NDIS.

On the spending side no cash handouts but get dentistry onto Medicare and remove or lower interest charged on HECS debts.

Alibob
      Participant

I would remove HECS charges for ALL people studying for their first degree or qualification .. we need to be a clever country. Sure keep feed for subsequent studies.
      I would revise NDIS.. this program is so ridiculous in the supports it gives that don’t ‘pass the pub test!’ I think this program could be halved to save enormous amounts and still keep all reasonable supports. Definitely keep support for legitimate needs but holidays, taking people for a coffee every day etc is way too costly!
      I would restrict tax minimising through trusts and try to stop similar tax strategies.
      I would see how costly it would be to make basic nursing home care covered by medicare.
      I would do all possible to increase public housing availability.

Mike Omment
      Participant

I would cease all air travel for all politicians ….They need to talk to somebody overseas, either get on the phone or do it online. No more ” we will take a jet each”.
      No more tax payers money for terrorist organizations, full stop

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.