Where do you stand on self-service checkouts?

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Andrew Gigacz
      Participant

As I am currently undertaking a year of house and pet-minding, my travels have taken me to a number of suburbs across Melbourne. This has also exposed me to an array of different supermarkets.

Of course Australia’s two biggest supermarkets, Coles and Woolworths, have featured heavily in my various grocery shopping experiences. And while there’s a certain sameness across them, as you would expect, each is different in their own way.

One thing that I’ve noticed is that self-service checkouts are becoming more prevalent. In fact, at a couple of the Coles where I shopped, there was no alternative but to use the self-service checkout option.

I’m not against the option of self-service, but I do think the old-fashioned human at the register should remain available, at least until oldies like me ‘move on’.

It’s not that I struggle with the technology (although many do). I just like a bit of human interaction. With self-service checkouts, the most likely interaction you’ll get is the feeling that ‘Big Brother’ is watching you.

Earlier this year, Coles Chief Operating Officer Matt Swindells announced, “if you’re a thief, we’re gonna catch you.” And to back up his threat, the supermarket behemoth has introduced overhead cameras, trolley locks, smart gates and antitheft fog machines. And something called electronic article surveillance (EAS), just for good measure.

Maybe just a human at the register would be easier? It would certainly make me feel less like a suspected thief.

The annoying thing for me is that I often see shop staff standing in or near the self-service area, seemingly doing nothing while waiting for something to happen.

Recently I dropped by to a Woolies store to pick up an online order. I was left waiting several minutes while a single staff member tried to bounce between register duties, online pick-up customers and an impatient purchaser of cigarettes. For the entire time she was struggling to juggle these tasks, another staff member was standing idly in the self-service check-out area, achieving seemingly very little.

These experiences at the big two supermarkets have just made me all the more determined to avoid them in favour of genuinely local grocers.

Have you had similar experiences at your supermarket? How do you find the self-service experience?

Marelle Prendergast
      Participant

I love self-service checkouts, I use them all the time, I packed the groceries the way I want them packed I’m in and out quickly.
      Supermarket I go to in my local area I have a choice self SERVICE or go through a checkout with an operator
      I wish Aldi would have a self Service check out Hopefully they will one-day

fearlessfly
        Participant

Aldi are rolling them out now Marelle, at last, thank god !

Jacka
      Participant

Yes I think anyone who shops at the big two have suffered these eternal hold ups. The self-service checkouts do serve a good purpose, if you only have a few articles and wish to get on with your day. However, the old way I find is the best way, with the attendant putting your groceries through a lot quicker than you can at the self service checkout. I do find it very annoying standing in queues waiting to be ushered over to the self-service or the maned check out, while two or three attended are standing nearby looking at people, with fear in their eyes, hoping they won’t have to do anything. My suggestion would be that the big wigs in the company are getting kickbacks from the technology companies for the over sales of various security systems. Call me a sceptic but I don’t think I’m far from the mark. Jacka.

fearlessfly
      Participant

Absolutely love self service checkouts, use them everywhere I find them. Rapt to find that 2 of the Aldi’s we go to have now implemented them, makes a colossal difference if you are only buying a few items.

David Ryder
      Participant

Self service checkouts are fine if you only have a few items.
      But we usually have a large family shop and I use the serviced checkout where sometimes the operator even packs my bags.
      Usually have a friendly chat too so prefer a serviced checkout.
      IMO the big increase in shoplifting is due to self checkouts.

fearlessfly
      Participant

Quite clearly, the supermarkets should stop selling cigarettes ! Leave that to those unprincipled maggots that keep getting firebombed !

ronloby
      Participant

I truly HATE self-service checkouts. More so if they are CARD ONLY.

TJ
      Participant

I stand as far away from them as possible.
      I object to them being thrust upon us and the idea that should the supermarkets have their way, they will become the “norm”.
      It also puts people out of a job.

Ron
      Participant

I have tried self serve units twice. Both times they would not work for me. Why should I go out of my way to be stuffed around by this crap!
      Besides, the surveillance is also enabling tracking of not only what you buy and when but; it also spies on your card, pin and anything else it “sees”. Don’y believe anything these buggers tell you, they use and sell your data. Shoot the lot of them.

Poppy
      Participant

I’m ok with them but my Mum won’t use them at all. She avoids stores where they use them and will only go through a checkout where she can be served by a person. When her local supermarket abolished the express checkout in favour of self-service checkouts she complained and refuses to shop there. The technology can also overwhelm older people, they don’t trust it. I don’t trust it either but I risk it for the time I save. I check my docket though just to be sure.

Fiona
      Participant

My daughter works for a supermarket and most staff hate being on them.
      This is because so many people try to steal things and when pulled up nicely become abusive quite often. One member has panic attacks and goes home after being abused.
      She prefers serving on the registers and some of the older folk come to her because she helps them lift things or gets them help if they seem unwell or asks how they are.

IrishDigger
      Participant

I refuse to use them.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.