Why you should put milk in your coffee, according to science

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Brad Lockyer
      Keymaster

Some people prefer milk in their coffee, while others prefer it black. But new research has uncovered a health reason you may make sure you’re drinking the white stuff as well.

Coffee on its own is full of antioxidant called polyphenols, which are crucial for reducing inflammation in your body.

But a recent study published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry has found that mixing milk with coffee can double the antioxidant effects of polyphenols, make them twice as effective at reducing inflammation.

Professor Marianne Nissen Lund, lead author of the study, told the Daily Mail: ‘We show as a polyphenol reacts with an amino acid, its inhibitory effect on inflammation in immune cells is enhanced.

“As such, it is clearly imaginable that this cocktail could also have a beneficial effect on inflammation in humans.”

Will this be enough to add milk to your coffee?

ronloby
      Participant

No thanks. Black coffee is my only coffee. Never had milk in a coffee at all in the past 60-plus years.

It depends on the situation though as some people are allergic to milk. But with regards to putting milk in a coffee, I totally love it as black coffee alone triggers my hyperacidity.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.