Would you pay for ‘cake-age’ at a restaurant

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Brad Lockyer
      Keymaster

A group of diners at a Sicilian restaurant found themselves caught off-guard when presented with a bill that included an additional €20 ($34 AUD) to slice the birthday cake the group had brought from home, The Australian is reporting.

After spending €124 at the restaurant, the group asked a waiter to glide his knife through their birthday cake. But they were shocked to find a €20 charge on their bill for the service. That equates to about €1 for each slice.

The group posted their receipt to social media, instantly sparking an online debate about restaurants throughout Italy ripping off customers with hidden charges.

What would you do if asked to pay a ‘cake-age’ fee?

SAC
      Participant

Our local hotel has charged a “cake-age” for quite a while if you bring your own cake. I think it’s generally fair enough, as it’s not just cutting the cake, you also get plates and spoons for everyone and a sparkler fizzing away as they bring it out on a plate they’ve provided. This not only takes time, but everything needs to be washed afterwards.
      Their cakes are usually reasonably priced, although special dietary requests can make the price exhorbitant.
      We generally go back to someone’s house for cake if we’re not going to be using one of their cakes.

jfejsa
      Participant

I think it’s reasonable for restaurants to charge for “cake-age,” but I think it’s unreasonable for them to overcharge their customers for service as so many of them do.

soarer129
      Participant

I used to be president of a local community club and we would just do it no charge as it builds up customer relations and yep local club however we got customers from as far as 30kms away and have a mate who runs a winery he also does not charge for refrigerate cake cutting and serving suppose i would pay if given the bill but would not go back there again

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
[snax_content]

Forgot password?

Don't have an account? Register

Forgot password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Privacy Policy

Add to Collection

No Collections

Here you'll find all collections you've created before.