What support is offered to pensioners who need assistance?

Jock is having trouble around the home and wonders if he qualifies for a special pension.

Which payment is best?

Jock is having trouble around the home and wonders if he qualifies for a special pension.


Q. Jock
I would appreciate it if you could advise me if I would be entitled to receive a disability payment. I am 77 years of age and about to receive my first fortnightly part-pension of $356.05.

I am single and own my home. My assets include an SMSF amount of $405,000 and provides an income of $888 per fortnight.

Due to a severe back injury I require assistance to complete household chores such as cleaning of floors, dusting, etc.

A. Essentially, the payment rates are the same for both the Age Pension and the Disability Support Pension (DSP) and they are assessed the same way under the income and assets test, although a medical assessment is required to become eligible for the DSP.

However, the Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP) Program provides a range of home care services that may be able to help in your situation. These services can enable older Australians to live independently in their own homes for as long as possible.

CSHP services include:

  • home help ­– cooking, cleaning, washing and ironing
  • home modifications and maintenance
  • social support – such as banking and transport
  • food services – Meals on Wheels, help with shopping, centre-based meals
  • personal care – help with bathing and dressing
  • community respite – to give carers a break or for people living alone.
  • health services – such as home and community nursing, physiotherapy and podiatry.

You may be required to pay a small fee for the services you access, depending on the fees set by the service providers. You can enquire about CHSP services through myagedcare.gov.au and arrange for a Regional Assessment Service (RAS) assessment to determine your suitability.  

If you have a Centrelink question, please send it to newsletters@yourlifechoices.com.au and we’ll do our best to answer it for you.


    Disclaimer: All content on YourLifeChoices website is of a general nature and has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. It has been prepared with due care but no guarantees are provided for ongoing accuracy or relevance. Before making a decision based on this information, you should consider its appropriateness in regard to your own circumstances. You should seek professional advice from a Centrelink Financial Information Services officer, financial planner, lawyer or tax agent in relation to any aspects that affect your financial and legal circumstances.


    To make a comment, please register or login
    14th Jan 2019
    Start with your local Council who will send out a person to evaluate your needs. They will clean your home and offer other services. One particular Council even provides gardening help. A token fee of $10 usually applies for each service
    14th Jan 2019
    Thanks, Paddo - we pay a guy $45 to trim our edges.... I cut the lawns with a rideon...
    14th Jan 2019
    I think it is great that some of us can get this service but I think it is bloody disgraceful that extra is not added on to the pension to pay for these services I am wheelchair bound and need a full carer that I have to pay for lucky for me I have to live overseas (health reasons) if in Australia I would have to live in an old folks home I am only 77 and have a lot of life to live yet
    14th Jan 2019
    Good on you, Andy... and good suggestion.
    14th Jan 2019
    Commonwealth Home Support Program is one of two services.

    The other which should also be disclosed is the Home Care Package, providing between $8,000 and $50,000 of subsidised care per annum.

    It is different assessment but once again organised through My Aged Care

    14th Jan 2019
    Got the MyAC coming around Thursday to check on the ex.. see if there is anything she can access...I advised her to bring her eldest son - he could persuade a stone to donate blood...

    14th Jan 2019
    Get an ACAT report done (see your GP for that) and approach My Aged Care. Good luck!
    15th Jan 2019
    $405.000 and still get $356, not bad. I have $0 and just because my wife works i get about $190 .

    Join YOURLifeChoices, it’s free

    • Receive our daily enewsletter
    • Enter competitions
    • Comment on articles