This recipe from Izy Hossack’s book Top with Cinnamon is simple and has a major flavour profile, which makes it instantly appealing to the home cook. With the addition of roasted sweet potato it can be served all year round and varied by replacing sweet potatoes with potatoes or pumpkin, spinach with rocket and pecans with pinenuts.
Time: 40 minutes
Serves: 2 – 4
- 4 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- large pinch dried chilli flakes
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- large pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 large handfuls of baby spinach
- 45 grams pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- large pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Place the sweet potatoes in a roasting tray and toss with the dried chilli flakes and half the olive oil. Roast for 30 minutes, flipping them over halfway through with a spatula.
- Meanwhile, rub the chicken with the other tablespoon of oil, the rosemary and the salt and pepper. Place in a sandwich bag and seal. Bash the chicken with a rolling pin to flatten the breasts until they are about 2 cm thick.
- Once you’ve flipped the potatoes, heat a griddle pan over a medium heat and cook the chicken for 3–5 minutes on each side until golden brown and cooked all the way through. Cut into thick slices and layer with the spinach, pecans and sweet potato on a large plate.
- Shake the dressing ingredients together in a lidded jar until emulsified. Toss the apple slices in some of the dressing then lay them on top of the salad. Drizzle the rest of the dressing over and serve warm or cold.
Recipe taken from Top with Cinnamon by Izy Hossack
Izy Hossack is an 18-year-old with a passion for bittersweet chocolate, lattes, pecans and maple syrup. She is also the author of the award-winning blog Top with Cinnamon, where she shares her love of cooking a multitude of culinary delights, ranging from the indulgent to the wholesome and hearty. In Top With Cinnamon, Izy shares her favourite sweet and savoury recipes, perfect for lazy weekends, speedy suppers and impromptu gatherings. You can purchase Top with Cinnamon at cooked.com.
Published by Hardie Grant Books.