You’ll be amazed at how easy it is to prepare our Sweet and Spicy Pear Tarts for two. And not only do they look especially ‘gourmet’, they also taste amazing.
Time: 1 hour and 25 minutes
- 1 large ripe but firm pear, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, plus additional for dusting
- 2 tablespoons sugar, divided in half
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup wholemeal pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons walnut or canola oil
- 1–2 tablespoons cold water
Preheat oven to 190°C. In a medium bowl, mix pear slices, one teaspoon all-purpose flour, one tablespoon sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Whisk the 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, wholemeal flour and the remaining one tablespoon sugar in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with a fork until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Sprinkle the oil over the mixture and stir with a fork until evenly combined. Add one tablespoon water and stir until the dough just stays together when pressed with a fork. Line a work surface with baking paper and generously dust with flour, then turn out the dough onto it. Form the dough into a small patty, dust the top with flour and roll into a rustic 10-inch circle, adding more flour if necessary to prevent sticking. Lay the pear slices in decorative, overlapping circles on top of the crust. Spoon any remaining pear juice over the slices. Pick up the edges of the crust using a spatula and fold over the pears. The crust will not meet in the middle. Bake the tart until lightly browned and bubbling (about 40 minutes). Cool before serving.