HomeTechnologyExtend the life of your smartphone

Extend the life of your smartphone

Let’s face it. Most of us use our phones primarily for texting, talking, browsing the occasional web page and sending a few emails here and there, so there really is no need to upgrade them every time a new one is released. Forget wasting money on a new fandangled phone – be smart and extend the life of the one you already have, so you can save your money to spend on other (better) things. Here’s how.

1. Declutter your smartphone
If your phone is becoming slower each day, it may well have more to do with an overload of apps, photos and other files. When your storage reaches maximum capacity, it increases the pressure on your phone’s RAM, which, in turn, makes it lag and become less responsive. The best way to prevent this from happening is to regularly remove any unnecessary apps, images, videos and documents – including text messages and emails.

2. General care
Screen protectors and sturdy cases will not guarantee that your phone never breaks or that your screen never cracks, but they will definitely prevent it from happening so easily. So, investing in a decent case and screen protector will increase the life of your phone.

It also pays to ensure your phone is secure when driving and, to prevent moisture damage, don’t exercise with it in your pocket.

3. Skip updates after two new versions
Most smartphone manufacturers will only provide support for two software updates. After that, you’re on your own. If you have an older device, it’s best not to update to the latest operating systems – it will not only slow down your phone, but it will also reduce the stability of your phone’s operation.

There’s also a ‘conspiracy theory’ amongst tech pundits that new operating systems slow your phone on purpose, forcing you to upgrade much sooner than you really need to.

4. Give it a rest
Just as you wouldn’t leave your computer on for days or even weeks at a time, you should also never leave your smartphone on all day every day. Aim to give your phone a rest at least once per week – even for just a few minutes. This will allow it to reset and refresh and it will run much more efficiently as a result.

5. Best charging practice
Seeing as your phone is basically a battery, a screen and a few microchips (among other things), looking after the battery is quite possibly the most important thing you can do to extend the life of your smartphone.

There are many opinions as to the best way to charge your battery, but according to www.lifehack.org, once your battery reaches 75 per cent, you should pop it on to charge. Leaving your battery to run down to 25 per cent or less before charging can actually impair your battery’s potential. Charging at 75 per cent will give you 2500 fully powered charges, whereas leaving it to 25 per cent will give you only 500.

Our own tech wiz Ryan says you should charge your phone (or computer) when it gets to about 40 percent charge.

Do you have any tips for extending the life of your smartphone? Why not share them with our members?

Related articles:
Double your battery life
Improve your battery life
Keep your smart device charged

- Our Partners -


- Advertisment -


- Advertisment -

Log In

Forgot password?

Don't have an account? Register

Forgot password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Log in

Privacy Policy

Add to Collection

No Collections

Here you'll find all collections you've created before.