How to expel plane toilet smells

Ever walked into an plane toilet and wanted to walk straight back out? Planes can be pretty grotty places; after all, what would you expect from a single toilet that services 150 people or so?

But life on a plane without the invisible smog of a toilet stench is possible.

There’s a really simple trick that flight attendants use to rid those stinky inflight toilets of what can often be a hideous stench. They simply boil a strong pot of black coffee and pour it down the toilet.

Evidently, there’s science behind this theory.

The caffeine in coffee contains high levels of nitrogen, a chemical which neutralises the hydrogen sulphide gas responsible for making that sewage smell.

And it’s a trick that’s not limited for use on an airplane water closet. You can use it at home too. Also, if you’re not one for store-bought air fresheners, you can place a bowl of coffee beans in your bathroom.

Some airlines hang a bag of coffee beans on the backs of toilets doors to neutralise bad odours. Some will even hand passengers a bag of beans if they’re sitting next to someone with pungent body odour.

Who knew coffee could be so helpful when it comes to keeping the air around you fresh?

Related articles:
How to avoid germs on a plane
Why are there still ashtrays in airplane bathrooms?
Common household cleaner could kill you

Written by Leon Della Bosca

Leon Della Bosca has worked in publishing and media in one form or another for around 25 years. He's a voracious reader, word spinner and art, writing, design, painting, drawing, travel and photography enthusiast. You'll often find him roaming through galleries or exploring the streets of his beloved Melbourne and surrounding suburbs, sketchpad or notebook in hand, smiling.


How to avoid germs on a plane

By following these tips you can avoid the worst of plane germs.

Travel SOS: why are there still ashtrays in airplanes?

Brian wants to know why there are still ashtrays in airplanes.

Common household cleaner linked to a fatal lung disease

Regular cleaning with this common household cleaner could cause a fatal lung disease.