When flying, the cabin crew can either be your best friend or your worst enemy, which can make your journey a pleasure or a pain.
Many people may think that being a flight attendant would be a dream job. Upon closer inspection, the 12–18 hour shifts (depending on the length of the flight) and having to deal with needy passengers, whiny kids and, maybe, the odd happy flyer, that dream job could quickly become a worst nightmare.
So, keeping on the good side of your flight attendant can be the difference between a happy flight or one that can be a bit tough.
Here are 10 things that your cabin crew hate about you. Well, only if you commit these grievous passenger faux pas.
1. Not greeting the crew when you board. It really doesn’t take much to smile and say ‘hi’ and ‘thank you’.
2. Taking up too much space in the overhead bins. They also hate it when you ask them to help you put your bag in the overhead baggage stow. After all, they’re not porters. If you can’t lift your bag, it shouldn’t be a carry-on.
3. Handing your rubbish to an attendant while they’re giving out food. I mean, really?
4. Going to the toilet while the plane is descending or when the seatbelt sign is on. It probably goes without saying that the seatbelt sign is on for a reason.
5. Ignoring the cabin crew while they’re showing you the safety presentation. It’s tough to be ‘on show’ so at least pay attention. It’s for your own good.
6. Asking “what do you have?” – there’s a menu, buddy …
7. Not taking out your headphones when an attendant is speaking with you. It’s just rude.
8. Touching attendants or snapping your fingers to get their attention. Use that little button above your head instead.
9. Walking around barefoot – especially when you go to the loo. (That’s just wrong!)
10. Using the galley to stretch.
And here’s the one that really raises their shackles: expecting them to know as much as the captain or blaming them for mishaps beyond their control.
Have you ever committed these passenger faux pas? Do you have any tips that would make your flight attendant smile?