Claiming the Low Income Supplement

Time is running out for those hoping to make a claim for the Low Income Support Supplement (LIS) – you have until 30 June 2017 to lodge your paperwork.

Individuals who meet residence, income and tax requirements may be eligible for the LIS of $300 per annum. You will need to apply on an annual basis via Centrelink to receive this payment.

You may be eligible if:

  • you are an Australian resident and are living in Australia on the date of the claim, and have been in Australia for at least 39 weeks of the relevant financial year, and
  • your tax liability is $300 or less. Your tax liability is the amount of tax you are required to pay the Australian Taxation Office. It’s calculated on the income you have made for the previous financial year, and
  • your accepted adjusted taxable income is less than: 

    • $30,000 (for singles without a dependent child)
    • $45,000 (for couples without a dependent child)
    • $60,000 (for singles and couples with a dependent child).


The LIS assists individuals who do not receive any other government financial assistance. This means that:

  • you have not received Family Tax Benefit (FTB) for 39 weeks or more
  • you have not received income support from the Government for more than 39 weeks
  • you have not been in prison or a mental health facility for more than 25 weeks in the past financial year
  • you are not in prison or a mental health facility when you claim
  • your partner didn’t receive the LIS in the past financial year.


The Low Income Supplement self assessment tool is available on the Department of Human Services website, however, it will cease to be available after 1 July 2017. This tool will assist customers to determine their eligibility for the LIS.

Information on the Low Income Supplement is available on the Department of Human Services website. 

Related articles:
Low Income Health Care Card
Pensioners to get power bill help

- Our Partners -


- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -