How to reapply for the pension

Ray lost his part pension a while ago but believes he may now be eligible again and wants to know whether Centrelink will automatically reinstate his entitlements.


Q. Ray
Last year I lost my part pension and concession card because my assets exceeded the amount for a single home owner, self-funded retiree. I am 72 years old. In July last year I received a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card. Now my assets are down about $50,009 on the cut-off limit.

To apply for a part pension and a concession card do I have to reapply for a pension again? Centrelink must have all my details as I have a CRN number on my seniors’ health card. It appears to me they closely monitor us pensioners to take money off us but turn a blind eye when we are perhaps entitled to having our pension and concessions restored.

A. Anybody who lost their eligibility for the Age Pension must reapply if their financial circumstances have since changed. The Age Pension will not automatically be reinstated.

The Department of Human Services has made a range of improvements for the process of claiming an Age Pension.

The new online channel makes it easier for people to apply, and individuals registered with Centrelink can submit their entire application online without the need to visit a service centre.

People can also save the progress of their application while online, and then log back in to finish it at a later time. This feature is handy for applicants who perhaps need to gather more information or documentation to assist their claim.

If a person was previously a Centrelink payment recipient, the system will automatically fill in their personal and financial details on the Age Pension claim. Applicants just need to confirm or update the pre-populated information already provided.

Once submitted, applicants can check the status of their claim online at any time using the Claim Tracker.

Applying through the online claiming channel is faster and more efficient, as it ensures all necessary information is submitted at the time of lodgement. However, staff will be available to support people as they complete their claims, whether over the phone or in person at a service centre.

If you have a Centrelink question, please send it to and we’ll do our best to answer it for you.

Related articles:

Can I save my husband’s pension?
New Age Pension reporting rule
Centrelink payments may increase

Disclaimer: All content on YourLifeChoices website is of a general nature and has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. It has been prepared with due care but no guarantees are provided for ongoing accuracy or relevance. Before making a decision based on this information, you should consider its appropriateness in regard to your own circumstances. You should seek professional advice from a Centrelink Financial Information Services officer, financial planner, lawyer or tax agent in relation to any aspects that affect your financial and legal circumstances.

Written by Ben Hocking

Ben Hocking is a skilled writer and editor with interests and expertise in politics, government, Centrelink, finance, health, retirement income, superannuation, Wordle and sports.

Leave a Reply

Asian-Style Grilled Fish

Aussies tightening their belts