What are you eligible for?

Christina won’t be eligible for the pension but wants to know what other help is available now that she has been forced into retirement by a redundancy.


Q. Christina
How do I find out what my husband and I are entitled to from the Queensland Government, Brisbane City Council and the Federal Government? My husband is 70 years old and working full-time on a good salary. I am 66 years old and no longer working after being made redundant by the Queensland Government. I volunteer at a koala hospital and in a creek catchment group.

I contacted Centrelink and was told I am not eligible for a pension or for a payment for volunteering or for health or transport cards. I have attempted to find out what I am entitled to, but I have found the system so convoluted and impossible to get a definitive answer. My question is, what am I eligible for? 

A. In most circumstances, a Seniors Card is available to Australians aged 60 and over, who are not working full-time.

The cards are issued free by the relevant state and territory government and enable holders to receive a wide range of discounts on public and commercial activities.

This can be especially useful for those who have retired, or those who are working fewer hours but do not yet qualify for the Age Pension.

Eligibility criteria and concessions available vary, so contact your State/Territory Seniors Card office for details. 

Changes to the Pension Loans Scheme, which came into effect on 1 July, means you are also able to access some of the capital you may have tied up in assets if needed.

If you enjoy our content, don’t keep it to yourself. Share our free eNews with your friends and encourage them to sign up.

Related articles:
Aged care and the Age Pension
Devalued assets and the pension
Can you earn on the pension?

Disclaimer: All content on YourLifeChoices website is of a general nature and has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. It has been prepared with due care but no guarantees are provided for the ongoing accuracy or relevance. Before making a decision based on this information, you should consider its appropriateness in regard to your own circumstances. You should seek professional advice from a financial planner, lawyer or tax agent in relation to any aspects that affect your financial and legal circumstances.

Ben Hocking
Ben Hocking
Ben Hocking is a skilled writer and editor with interests and expertise in politics, government, Centrelink, finance, health, retirement income, superannuation, Wordle and sports.
- Our Partners -


- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -