Healthy, cheap and oh-so satisfying, this Vegetarian Chickpea Curry is the quickest curry you’ll ever make. It’s not at all spicy, but still full of flavour. Serve it with steamed basmati rice and a dollop of natural yoghurt topped with fresh mint leaves.
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric power
- 400g can tomatoes
- 400g can chickpeas, not drained
- 1/2 medium cauliflower, chopped into small florets
- 2 handfuls mint leaves, optional
- 5 tablespoons natural yoghurt
In a medium saucepan, heat some oil and cook the onion over a medium heat until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the pepper, cumin, turmeric and sauté for another two to three minutes.
Next, add the cauliflower and cook for a couple of minutes before adding the tomatoes and chickpeas, and the juices from both cans. Cover and simmer for 10–15 minutes on low heat, until the cauliflower is no longer crunchy.
Season to taste and serve on steamed basmati rice with mint leaves and yoghurt.
Serving suggestion: You can replace the cauliflower with potato for a different taste.
Also read: Asian Vegetarian Noodle Salad