Starting your day with a nutritious breakfast can help you stay on track with healthy eating throughout the day. Eggs are naturally high in protein, which keeps you feeling fuller, meaning you’re less likely to reach for a snack before lunchtime. They’re also loaded with great vitamins and will help you avoid the possible blood sugar spike that often comes with toast or cereal.
Shakshuka, a skillet of eggs cooked in a spicy tomato sauce, is traditionally from North Africa, but has recently made its way into the kitchens of restaurants and homes alike.
Tom Kerridge’s version, from his book Lose Weight For Good, is a perfect way to start the day, and very simple to make.
- 1 teaspoon light olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 large red capsicum, cored, deseeded and diced
- 1 large green capsicum, cored, deseeded and diced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons hot smoked paprika
- A pinch of flaky sea salt
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 4 medium free-range eggs
- 50g feta cheese
- A handful of coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat the oil in a medium non-stick frying pan (that has a lid) over a high heat. Add the onion and cook for two minutes, then add the peppers and garlic and cook for a further four minutes. If the vegies begin to stick, add a splash of water to the pan.
2. Stir in the cumin, cinnamon, paprika and salt and cook, stirring, for about 30 seconds, until the spices become fragrant. Tip in the tinned tomatoes, stir to combine and lower the heat. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until the sauce thickens slightly.
3. Make four small wells in the tomato sauce for your eggs. Crack an egg into each well and place a lid on top of the frying pan. Leave the eggs to cook for five minutes or until the whites are just set.
4. Crumble the feta over the surface and finish with the chopped coriander and a grinding of pepper. Serve straight from the pan.
Calories per serving: 375
Lose Weight For Good: Full-Flavour Cooking For A Low-Calorie Diet by Tom Kerridge is published by Absolute. Available now.
What is your favourite way to enjoy eggs? Do you enjoy cooking up a big breakfast or prefer to stick to something simple?
– With PA
If you enjoy our content, don’t keep it to yourself. Share our free eNews with your friends and encourage them to sign up.