A budget cut of beef, simple pantry ingredients, a bit of patience and some rice. This Beef Ragu with Rice recipe will quickly become one of your all-time favourites.
- 700g lean beef stew meat
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 mushroom, large
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup dry red wine (can be substituted with a extra 1/4 cup of beef broth)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 small zucchini, halved and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 3 cups cooked rice
In a large heavy-based frying pan, brown beef and mushrooms in the hot oil. Drain and place in a casserole dish. Add onions, tomatoes, carrots, garlic, and tapioca to the pot.
Combine broth, wine, and seasonings; pour over beef and vegetables. Cover and cook in a preheated oven at 160’C for 2-3 hours, until beef is tender.
For the last 45 minutes of cooking, turn oven temperature to 180’C and add zucchini. Serve with rice.